[CPM-SPIRE-L] Job Posting at Butler University

Travis Gagie travis.gagie at gmail.com
Sat Jan 15 12:41:18 PST 2022

We invite applications for a tenure-track position at the Assistant
Professor level in Computer Science and/or Software Engineering, with an
anticipated start date of August 15th, 2022.

Applicants are required to have at least a master's degree or the
equivalent in computer science and a Ph.D. either in computer science or in
a closely related discipline, as well as a strong commitment to teaching in
a liberal arts environment.  An ongoing research program is required.
Salary and fringe benefits are competitive and commensurate with
qualifications.

Butler is first and foremost an institution that prides itself on
excellence in teaching.  The successful candidate for this tenure-track
position will be expected to teach a variety of courses in computer science
at the undergraduate level.  In particular, the ability to teach systems
courses is preferred.  Alternative pedagogical styles and innovative
approaches in the classroom are encouraged, and contributing to building an
inclusive learning environment for an increasingly diverse student
population is expected.  As mentioned above, an active research program is
also required, and the area of specialization is open.  Research that
approaches the discipline from a new perspective (like removing gender or
racial bias in image processing, or accessibility issues in user interface
design) is welcome.  A research program that includes undergraduate
students is a plus.

We seek candidates whose previous work and life experiences prepare them to
contribute to our commitment to engagement and inclusion of culturally
diverse students, faculty and staff. Successful candidates will have a
demonstrated commitment to promoting diversity, inclusion and intercultural
development in a work environment and be eager to contribute to inclusion
efforts on campus.

*Applications*

Please send us the following via email to csse at butler.edu:

·         Letter of application

·         Detailed CV

·         Brief statement on your teaching philosophy

·         Brief statement on your research program

·         Copy of your transcript(s)

·         And arrange to have at least three letters of recommendation sent
to us, at least one of which addresses your teaching.

Questions may also be submitted to this address.  Review of applications
will begin *immediately*.

*Our Work Environment*

The Department of Computer Science and Software Engineering is a small,
vibrant department with 5 full-time faculty and about 140 majors, housed in
the beautiful Fairbanks building near the center of campus.  We offer
majors in computer science and in software engineering, and the faculty
teach 9 credit hours per semester.  For details on our programs, please see
our website (https://www.butler.edu/computer-science) or contact the search
committee chair at jsorenso at butler.edu.

Butler University, founded in 1855 by an abolitionist on the principle of
equal access to higher education for all genders and races, is located on a
301-acre campus in the heart of a vibrant and diverse neighborhood in
Indianapolis.  Butler enjoys a national reputation for excellence and
quality, and has consistently been ranked among the top institutions in its
Carnegie category.  Butler encompasses six colleges, with an enrollment of
4500 undergraduate and 1000 graduate students, and emphasizes a liberal
arts based education with more than 60 academic majors.  Visit our website
at https://www.butler.edu for a closer look.  Indianapolis is the 15th
largest city in the U.S., with a growing and increasingly diverse
population, a growing tech community, a livable environment, and a very
reasonable cost of living.

Butler University is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity
and are committed to creating an inclusive and equitable environment for
all employees. We welcome applications from all individuals, regardless of
age, gender, gender identity, sex, race, religion, color, disability,
protected veteran status, sexual orientation, national origin, or any other
legally protected category.