[CPM-SPIRE-L] StringMasters '21 Call for Problems

Travis Gagie travis.gagie at gmail.com
Wed May 12 13:43:58 PDT 2021

Dear colleagues,

We will be co-chairing an online StringMasters workshop on July 8th,
virtually co-located with IWOCA '21 (https://iwoca2021.eecs.uottawa.ca).
Although logistics are still being worked out, we would appreciate early
suggestions of open problems related to stringology that participants can
discuss.

Please send your suggestions to
jackie.daykin [at] gmail.com
or
travis.gagie [at] gmail.com
or post them in the discussion at
https://www.facebook.com/events/2239893596145670/?active_tab=discussion .
We will post suggestions in that discussion so people can like them, so we
can gauge interest.

(We will also post received suggestions on Travis's webpage,
https://web.cs.dal.ca/~gagie , so if you don't use Facebook and you really
want to support a suggestion, you can email us.)

There will also be a GraphMasters workshop virtually co-located with IWOCA
'21, and the traditional IWOCA open-problems session.  The original
announcement of the workshops and session is pasted below.  If you would
like to suggest open problems for GraphMasters, please email Alessio Conte
at
conte [at] di.unipi.it .

Best regards,
Jackie Daykin
Travis Gagie
(co-chairs)

As in previous years, IWOCA 2021 will host a StringMasters and
GraphMasters Open workshops, as well as the traditional Open Problems
Session.

====================
StringMasters / GraphMasters Open workshops
====================

The workshops will be on July 8.
Their goal is to foster collaboration between researchers interested in
string algorithms, graph algorithms, and related problems. The spirit of
the workshops is informal: working space is provided to the
participants, who are welcome to group as they like and seek each
other’s counsel and opinion. More details on the workshops and their
history can be found at http://graphmasters.di.unipi.it/ and
http://stringmasters.di.unipi.it/previous.html .

If you intend to participate, you can specify it in the IWOCA
registration form, or simply send an email to the organizers
Alessio Conte (conte [at] di.unipi.it)
Jackie Daykin (jackie.daykin [at] gmail.com)
Travis Gagie ( travis.gagie [at] gmail.com)

The workshops will start with participants introducing interesting
string- and graph-related problems: ideally these should be problems
that can be introduced quickly and without excessive technical detail
(which can be further discussed later on in the working sessions), while
grabbing the attention of a wide range of researchers.

If you have a string- or graph-related problem to share, please email
the organizers.
We also encourage to present these problems in the Open Problems Session
of IWOCA, that will take place during the conference.

====================
Open Problems Session
====================

Since its earliest gatherings, the International (originally
Australasian) Workshop on Combinatorial Algorithms (IWOCA) has had
collaborative problem solving as an essential part of its meetings. This
takes place alongside the formal programme of invited and contributed
talks, although there is now one timetabled meeting to fire-up activity!
This provides an enjoyable and fraternal element and contributes to the
special nature of these workshops.

If you have an open problem you would like to present, or have
presented, at the conference, please write to the IWOCA Problem Session
Chairs:
Alessio Conte (conte [at] di.unipi.it)
Gabriele Fici (gabriele.fici [at] unipa.it)

Open problems are collected and documented on the IWOCA homepage:
https://nms.kcl.ac.uk/iwoca/index_problems.html

Our aim is to publish each problem in the form of 1-2 page PDFs, that
also provide some background information and references for the
problems, like here:
https://nms.kcl.ac.uk/iwoca/problems_list.html
Please be ready to put your problem into this format if we ask you to.

To attend you must register to IWOCA 2021 at
https://iwoca2021.eecs.uottawa.ca/