[CPM-SPIRE-L] the ultimate Raconteur

Stefano Lonardi stelo at cs.ucr.edu
Fri Jul 31 11:51:19 PDT 2015

I met Alberto twenty years ago. I was admitted to the computer engineering
PhD program in Padova and when it was time to choose an advisor, I
realized that I did not know anyone in the Department. The web barely existed at
that time, so I asked a friend who was familiar with the faculty in Padova
and he suggested to talk to "Apostolico o Bilardi". I decided for the
alphabetical order, and one day in the summer of 1995, I stopped by
Alberto's office in Via Gradenigo. The office was small, and full of cigar
smoke. I introduced myself while Alberto was emerging from the smoke, and
after a few minutes of conversation I was impressed enough by his
personality and professionalism that I never spoke to Gianfranco. That day
was the first day of a long journey that took me through my professional
career and to where I am now. Alberto influenced me in so many way that I
cannot begin to describe. He was not only was an inspiring advisor, but a
role model of generosity, humor, and gentleman ship. I have one story that
I want to share that captures his personality. I will miss him.

——

In 2001, at the end of my PhD at Purdue I was about about to join
University of California as an Assistant Professor. I was excited but also
a little scared about having to advise my own students, get my own grants,
publish my own papers. I felt very grateful for Alberto’s guidance and
generosity over the years, so I asked "Alberto, how could I thank you for
what you did for me? Alberto answered "By doing what you are about to
do". A few of my PhD students that are assistant professor have asked me
the same question. I have given them the same answer. Alberto’s legacy is
alive.