[CPM-SPIRE-L] the ultimate Raconteur

Steven Skiena skiena at cs.sunysb.edu
Wed Jul 29 19:42:41 PDT 2015

Gang,

Like all I am saddened by Alberto's passing.   Has their been a fund set up
where one can make a donation in his memory? If so, please send me and
presumably the list the information.

I include my favorite story about him below.

Steve

The Ill-Timed Flush
-------------------------

I was blessed to spend the Summer of 2002 visiting Padova.   Alberto was a
very gracious host during my visit.  I will always treasure memories of
that time: lunches with Alberto trying to explain to me how Italy did and
didn't work, and a special dinner at his and Titti's lovely home.

My wife Renee has always dreamed of owning a boat, and hoped in vain that I
would eventually come to share this dream.   Soon as Alberto got wind of
this he immediately invited us on an overnight trip on his boat.   "Surely
Steve will have such a wonderful time he will run to buy a boat the instant
he gets back to the United States.".

I warned him that Renee had tried this strategy with her nautical friends
twice before, to no avail.   I even warned him that both of those trips
ended up with the boat being towed to port.  I am a jinx at sea.

But Alberto waved this off, and we had a wonderful time cruising the
Adriatic Sea.  On the second day at sea a passing boat asked to borrow a
corkscrew, and rewarded Alberto's gallantry by dragging along a line which
hopelessly entangled the propeller of his boat.

But Alberto knew what to do.   He repeatedly dived off the boat and worked
underwater to try to cut the cord loose.   This was hard work, and I was
impressed with his strength and stamina as he tried to clear the propeller.

Then a party (to remain nameless) stepped out of the little toilet we had
onboard.  At that exact instant Alberto came sputtering to the surface, a
lesson in what happens to waste at sea.    But the real lesson was
Alberto's grace in accepting apologies for this transgression.   He was a
true gentleman in all senses of the word.

Our boat trip together that was no less wonderful for us because we had to
get towed back into port.   My memories of seeing Alberto and Titti in
Israel this January will endure as the last time I saw them them together.
  We will miss him.

Steven Skiena