[CPM-SPIRE-L] PhD student & Postdoc (Algorithmic Bioinformatics) @ U. Helsinki

Tomescu, Alexandru alexandru.tomescu at helsinki.fi
Tue Oct 6 23:50:11 PDT 2020

Dear colleagues,

I am looking for a PhD student and a Postdoc in Algorithmic Bioinformatics, to join my team at the University of Helsinki. I am leading the Graph Algorithms team<https://www.helsinki.fi/en/researchgroups/algorithmic-bioinformatics/teams/graph-algorithms>, of the wider Algorithmic Bioinformatics research group<https://www.helsinki.fi/en/researchgroups/algorithmic-bioinformatics>. These positions are partially funded by an ERC Starting Grant on Safe and Complete Algorithms for Bioinformatics<https://www.helsinki.fi/en/researchgroups/algorithmic-bioinformatics/teams/graph-algorithms/safebio-erc-starting-grant>.

Current research topics include:

  *   String algorithms for pangenome graphs.
  *   Safe string alignment solutions (i.e. base pairs appearing in all optimal and suboptimal alignments) and their correlation with protein function over the tree of life.
  *   Graph algorithms for genome, RNA and viral assembly from genomic sequencing data.

University of Helsinki hosts an active and wonderful Algorithmic Bioinformatics community, with interests ranging from theoretical computer science, to algorithm engineering and practical bioinformatics methods, and from graph algorithms to string algorithms.

Application deadline December 7, 2020.

Interested persons are welcome to ask for more information via e-mail to alexandru.tomescu at helsinki.fi<mailto:alexandru.tomescu at helsinki.fi>.

More details in the following calls:
https://www.cs.helsinki.fi/u/tomescu/phd-student.pdf
https://www.cs.helsinki.fi/u/tomescu/postdoc.pdf

Please distribute this to all persons interested.

Best regards,
Alexandru Tomescu