[CPM-SPIRE-L] Danny Breslauer

Roberto Grossi grossi at di.unipi.it
Fri Jan 19 07:45:43 PST 2018

Dear Kunsoo and Zvi, and dear CPMers and SPIRErs:

I wrote few paragraphs for Danny, too many memories occurred.

Ciao
Roberto

====

I met Danny for the first time when we were both at the beginning of our
PhD studies. It was a nice summer school in Acireale (now Lipari School)
with top speakers and PhD students from all over the world. We were sharing
the same room and Danny was returning from a trip to the Vulcano island in
Sicily: he was worried about the smell and the bad conditions of his shoes
due to hard hiking to the volcano site. This was over 25 years ago.

Around that time, I went to visit Zvi Galil's group at Columbia U. in NYC,
and Danny helped me a lot to settle up, open a bank account, etc. (That
year in Columbia was really great, I found new friends there.) Over the
next years I visited Danny when he was in Denmark for a fellowship, and he
also spent six months in Pisa. He then went into the industry job market,
and I reconnected with him some years ago when he decided to come back to
the academia. He went to Haifa in Gadi Landaus's group, and I had a
pleasant visit also there. Communication was very often in Italian, as
Danny was fluent in it. Incredibly, after so many years, when I introduced
someone to Danny, he was still mentioning the fact that he was smelling
like a volcano when we met.

I have many good memories to tell about Danny, but I am a kind of private
person when publicly talking of family and close friends. Thus I prefer to
tell just few things about what Danny had to go through these years,
reporting what he told me in several occasions. He attempted to get back to
academia around 2010, but it was difficult as he had been inactive in
research for several years. Also, most positions were for the junior level,
which was not fitting his age, and he had no recent teaching experience;
moreover, in that period, university jobs were less abundant than before.
Still with some rust, he was the brilliant guy in research and we
coauthored some papers. Danny was full of great ideas... he was still a
quick thinker, even though his ability to write papers was slower than
before.

Sad and short story is that he failed to get back to academia and thus
returned to the industry, working as a software developer for Google. He
clearly did not like this job, and I suspect that the stress was a main
cause of his chronic disease. Even sadder story, Danny lost his job at
Google: a special external company (appointed by Google) investigated
Danny's health, misrepresented the opinion of Danny's doctor, and concluded
that there was no job position in Google suitable for his disease. Thus
after a while, the insurance company started mobbing Danny to avoid to pay
his medical expenses, at the point that they were sending anonymous private
detectives to investigate whether Danny was cheating or not (and he was
not).

Danny was trying to settle in Japan, where he was feeling better and liked
people (he was learning Japanese). Few weeks before dying, Danny confessed
me that he was worried that he had no job and a disappearing health
insurance. I had Skype calls with him over the years, and I met him very
recently, it was in October 2017. I wish I had not delayed a Skype call
with him before the sad news. As it happened with many, it came as a sudden
shock to me.

For me he was the smiling and smart tall guy, a very kind person and nice
talker. As everybody else he had pros and cons, and the latter ones were ok
for me anyway. He called me Robertone because I called him Danone (in
Italian the friendly suffix "-one" means "big"). Here are the links to a
couple of recent pictures with Danny.

https://i62.servimg.com/u/f62/15/22/78/37/danny110.jpg (third from the
right)
https://i62.servimg.com/u/f62/15/22/78/37/danny210.jpg (first from the left)