[CPM-SPIRE-L] WCTA 2017 - Travel grants for students - BIRDS project

Susana Ladra González susana.ladra at udc.es
Fri Aug 25 03:08:09 PDT 2017

BIRDS project (www.birdsproject.eu) will provide travel grants to all students presenting their work at WCTA 2017, the 12th Workshop on Compression, Text and Algorithms (WCTA), which will be held at Eurostars Centrale Palace in Palermo, Italy, September 29, 2017, the day after SPIRE’17. WCTA is an annual satellite workshop of SPIRE mostly focusing on compression, data structures and string processing topics.

WCTA is free for all attendees. Thus, travel grants can be used to cover transportation, meals en route, hotel room in Palermo and meal at WCTA. BIRDS will provide grants for all students with an accepted abstract. If the demand exceeds the available budget, travel grants may only cover a portion of the travel expenses. The grant will be paid by reimbursement of costs. To get reimbursed, students will need to send, after the conference, a brief summary of their expenses, with the original receipts attached to a postal address we will provide.

In line with the European Charter and Code for Researchers, BIRDS gives special focus to gender balance, as the gender imbalance in our community, and in IT in general, is well-known. Thus, BIRDS guarantees a minimum of 1,000 eur grant for female students presenting at WCTA.

The funding comes from BIRDS project (Bioinformatics and Information Retrieval Data Structures and Design), which has received funding from the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme under the Marie Skłodowska-Curie grant agreement No 690941. The overall goal of BIRDS is to establish a long term international network involving leading researchers in bioinformatics and information retrieval from all over the world, to strengthen the partnership through the exchange of knowledge and expertise, and to develop integrated approaches to improve current approaches in both fields. You will need to acknowledge this source as part of your presentation.

We remind that the deadline for submitting an abstract to WCTA 2017 is: August 25th, 2017, anywhere on Earth.

More details about this grant will be provided to accepted abstracts.

We are looking forward to seeing you present your work in Palermo!

Best regards,

Susana Ladra
BIRDS coordinator
Universidade da Coruña, Spain