[CPM-SPIRE-L] the ultimate Raconteur

Raffaele Giancarlo raffaele.giancarlo at unipa.it
Tue Jul 21 15:25:11 PDT 2015

Dear All,

this is a message from an undergraduate at University of Salerno. I
met Professor Apostolico in November 1978.
He was teaching a first year course in the Computer Science Curriculum
at Unisa: Teoria e Applicazioni delle Macchine Calcolatrici. It became
immediately  clear to all of the student body  that Professor
Apostolico was very special. Indeed, over the next few years, in
addition to this new thing of pattern matching and compression
algorithms, his storytelling was a strong magnet for many of us.

As many of you in this list, I had the privilege to listen to his
stories, work with him, even meet during Christmas vacations for a
chat in Salerno. For many many years.

The last story comes from Lipari. It is short chronicle. After CPM in
Ischia, an island that he was very close to,   he sailed for a couple
of weeks the Eolian Islands, with friends and family.
He went from Salerno to Maratea, then crossed to Stromboli. Finally,
he got to Lipari for the school. When I saw his boat docking in the
harbor my undergraduate hearth started beating very fast: more
stories, more fun and more things to do.

More Alberto!!!.

I called him up immediately.

Unfortunately, last night, this came to an end and I went through
moments that I do not wish to anyone.

I feel a void, but thanks to you this undergraduate does not feel
lonely tonight.

I can still see Obliqua docked, so the only thing that I can say is:

Buon Vento Alberto.

raffaele