[CPM-SPIRE-L] CPM proceedings - LNCS vs. Dagstuhl

Moshe Lewenstein moshe.lewenstein at gmail.com
Fri Dec 4 05:06:37 PST 2015

Dear Friends,

At CPM 2015  I committed to checking into the option of moving the
proceedings from the traditional LNCS to the Dagstuhl Proceedings, known as
the LIPIcs series.

The advantage of this change would be that the proceedings (of LIPIcs) will
have open access which is in line with the concept of academic freedom,
allowing students and faculty from universities who do not have access to
LNCS to read all CPM papers in the future. Moreover, according to Maxime
Crochemore, there are funding agencies who require free access to articles.

The disadvantage is the cost. Until this year (inclusive) the cost of
LIPIcs was (and is) 15 Euros per published paper. However, they intend to
raise this (gradually) to 60 Euros in 2019. For LNCS the charge is per book
ordered, where the first 50 copies are free. Historically, for CPM
conferences the charge for extra books has been 500-1000 Euros. However, at
60 Euros per article and roughly 30 articles per CPM, the LIPIcs cost will
be around 2000 Euros. This might cause an increase of 20-30 Euros in
registration fees in future CPMs. The LIPIcs management expects a five year
commitment (which makes sense) on the behalf of CPM.

The steering committee, Maxime Crochemore and Zvi Galil, support the move
to LIPIcs. We, the PC chairs of the upcoming CPM, Roberto Grossi and
myself, support the move to LIPIcs. The audience at the CPM 2015 business
meeting also strongly supported the move, but wanted to know the costs.

Hence, if you oppose this change, now is the time to raise your objections.
Otherwise, we will go ahead and move to LIPIcs already this year.

Best,
Moshe