[CPM-SPIRE-L] the ultimate Raconteur

Moshe Lewenstein moshe.lewenstein at gmail.com
Tue Aug 4 09:19:08 PDT 2015

Dear Friends,

It was a sad day for me when I heard that Alberto, the Alberto we all
respected, enjoyed and looked forward to spending time with, is not with us
anymore. Alberto enjoyed people and was fun to be with. However, for me it
was his deep respect and care for the many people he encountered that
impressed me most.

My academic career began with a joint paper with Alberto and I was still
discussing joint research with him not long ago. Of course, with Alberto
life went well beyond research. I have so many fond memories from our many
encounters and discussions in so many different places. So, I was grateful
that one time I had the chance to give back a bit and this is the story.

In one of the Israel Stringology workshops that I co-organized with Ami,
Gadi and Ely I found myself in charge of the day trip. Ami and Gadi were
both checking out the possibility of rector positions in their respective
universities and could not join the trip. Ely, likewise, was busy. So, I
decided that the desert/dead sea would be a great trip. Alberto joined but
he was already not feeling well. So, when we all descended from the bus to
hike in the desert (which included some climbing) he decided not to join. I
felt bad. However, the next two stops were exactly to his taste. He was
very taken with the historic guide on top of Masada and he fully used the
time floating in the dead-sea water pool in the hotel on the dead-sea
beach. Finally, at dinner he was glowing again and graciously thanking me
for "this most wonderful day".  He explained that "unlike sailing, the
virtue of the dead-sea water is that you do not need to make an effort to
enjoy."

In fact, I regret not taking him up on his offer to sail around the whole
Italy in his yacht. I would surely NOT have enjoyed the sailing. However, I
missed out on two weeks with Alberto  -  a big mistake.

I add a couple of Alberto stories that I would like to share.

*The Levenshtein-distance*

In 2003 Prof. Rudi Ahlswede from Bielefeld University was funded by ZIF (in
Bielefeld)  to organize a yearlong string of workshops on "Information
Transfer and Combinatorics". Vladimir Levenshtein, who defined the
Levenshtein-distance, was there for several months with a group of fellow
researchers from Moscow. Alberto was also a long-term guest and was asked
to form his own part-time group. I was a young, new faculty member in
Bar-Ilan University and was more than happy to join when Alberto graciously
invited me. My three visits lasted for about a month in total. For those of
you who know Bielefeld – that is a lot of time.

Fortunately, Alberto took his "group responsibility" very seriously and
after research during the day he entertained us in the evenings with
stories, discussions and wine. Towards the end of one of these visits
pictures were being taken of the group. Suddenly Alberto's eyes lit up and
he asked Vladimir to stand next to him and for me to stand on his other
side. With a big smile to the camera he said "I am the
Levenshtein-distance".

*The Ride to Georgia-Tech Lorraine*

I was sitting one afternoon in the mess room of Dagstuhl with Alberto when
he turned to me and asked "Did you know that Georgia Tech has a campus not
far from here?" Obviously, I did not. "You know it is near Metz" he told
me. "Have you ever been to Metz?" he asked. I had not. "Moshe, Metz is a
wonderful city. It has an amazing church and a wonderful old city. You must
come and see it." This is how I was (unknowingly) convinced to join him on
the 200 KM trip (100 in each direction) to check out a potential sabbatical
for Alberto in Georgia-Tech Lorraine.

I do not regret making that trip.

With fond memories,
Moshe

PS - Picture below is the picture just before the "Levenshtein-distance"
picture. Laxmi - do you have the other picture?